<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 22, 2004

today's quotes 

(from A People's History of the United States , Howard Zinn, HarperPerennial 1995)


“I bring you the stately matron named Christendom, returning bedraggled, besmirched and dishonored from pirate raids in Kiao-Chou, Manchuria, South Africa, and the Philippines, with her soul full of meanness, her pocket full of boodle, and her mouth full of pious hypocrisies.”

- Mark Twain, 1900







  • “Dear Sir:....I have not meant to leave anyone in doubt....My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy Slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could do it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about Slavery and the colored race, I do because it helps to save this Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union…I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty, and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men, everywhere could be free. Yours. A. Lincoln.”



    - letter to New York Tribune editor Horace Greeley, 1862